There are a number of ways that our activities are funded:
1. Raising money:
- Donations – large and small amounts – cash collections at events and one off gifts
- Fundraising events – sales of goods, plants, refreshments (see the Events Page)
- Grants for specific time-limited projects for a particular purpose
- Small donations via the Donate Now button and BT's MyDonate facility.
We have in recent years received grant funding from: the Joseph Rowntree York Fund; The Richard Weare Foundation; The BIG Lottery (Awards for All); City of York Council, People's Health Lottery. Thanks to all of our funders!
2. By support ‘in kind’:
- Donations of seeds, plants for the gardens, growing space (thank you Yorkshire Chillies! )
- In 2016 we had 30 fruit bushes kindly donated from RVRoger
- Plants grown on windowsills, in greenhouses and gardens, and donated by our wonderful members (you!)
- Extras donated from gardens and allotment - eg. raspberry canes, strawberry runners, unwanted gooseberry bushes etc.
3. By the number of hours of unpaid work provided by the trustees and volunteers throughout the year:
- Thousands of gardening, seed sowing hours from members each year
- Watering in hot weather by passers by and friendly local businesses (more support always wanted in summer!)
- Generous commitment of trustees at meetings and AGM
- Administration of the charity
- Organisation of large scale events (Edible Open Gardens etc.)
Without our active members all donating many hours throughout the year and our trustees meeting regulary to progress new/struggling projects, none of this would be happening. From all of these people, thousands of hours of time are donated every year to make us so successful.
Your help would be really valuable too - please get in touch!